Sunday, November 07, 2004

This has been a tough week not just for me, but for my family as well. My Grandma Tharp had been sick this past year & in & out of the hospital. Monday, the resthome called my parents to tell them Grandma wasn't doing well & that they should come down. My mom called me at work to tell me which she usually does not do unless it is serious. I knew this was serious! I left work early Monday to spend time with grandma, staying several hours to hold her hand & talk to her. Two of my aunts had come by the time I got there & my dad was there. I feel badly that I did not go see her the next morning as my mom called me about 11:00 on Tues to tell me that Grandma had passed away. I didn't know what to do & just reacted as I started to cry at work. The rest of the week has been tough but has taught Rich & I a lot about family & life/death. Our family spent time meeting with the minister, going to the moturary, & talking about memories of Grandma.
My Grandma was a good woman! There were times growing up that I wasn't close to her, but I always loved her & admired the way she cared for others. Grandma was a hard worker and never slowed down until the end. In many ways I feel that I was the closest grandchild to her since I live in town & could see her when I wanted. I miss Grandma a lot!
There were also times when Grandma & my Dad didn't get along, but I know they loved each other. The night before my Grandma's death my Dad & I were in the room with her for a while by ourselves. The look on his face said it all. I have never seen my Dad look so concerned or scared in my life. My dad seems to be doing pretty well so far, but I know that he is sad. His family has never been really close & he was the only boy in the mix of 3 sisters! It's not going to be easy for him or any of us for a while. We are a family though and we will get through this together. Grandma would want that more than anything!
Grandma was such a part of our lives for many years as she always will be. I know Grandma is in a better place up in Heaven. She is smiling, she is seeing her parents, & my Grandfather after 30 years of being without him. She is happy!

1 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger Dawn Allenbach said...

I'm thinking of you and hoping you and your family are doing well. Sorry we couldn't talk for long on Saturday when you called. Hopefully this weekend will be a bit slower. I love you!

D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home