Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Could've Been Disaster

Yeasterday could've been a really bad day for me!! I had to go to the hospital to have a couple tests done on my shoulder, one of them being an MRI! X-rays went well no big deal. Then the doctor came in to do the arthrogram.....can you say OUCH!! Well that and a couple other words maybe!! This test consisted of the doctor numbing my arm and then sticking a big freakin needle in my arm with dye to see if there was any damage to the muscle. The numbing stuff didn't hurt to much, but the other made me feel like I wanted them to just take my arm right then and there!! After the test I could barely move my arm! Then the "fun" started!! Mom and I went over to where I was to have an MRI done. However, before doing so I had to fill out a questionaire (thankfully) that asked lots of questions about having metal in the body. As I was filling it out there came a question about having a shunt...yes I have one. To make a long story somewhat short, the people at the MRI place said that if any part of my shunt was metal, if I were to have an MRI it might de-magnatize my shunt.....NOT GOOD!! They eventually had to call the neurosurgeon who indicated that my shunt would not be compatible with an MRI. Thank God they called the neurosurgeon! Of course, I didn't have the MRI. Hopefully, they got enough information on my shoulder without it, that they can figure out what if anything is going on. My shoulder hurt terribly bad the rest of the day and I got somewhat sick to my stomach after the test. Why does that always have to be a side effect?? Now I am just waiting to hear from my doctor to see what action I need to take next. I lead such an interesting medical life.

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Dawn Allenbach said...

I think they can do a CT scan if they need more info. Paul was having orthopedic guys trying to figure out how bad his back is, and he couldn't have an MRI because of the rods on his spine, so they did a CT instead.

Hopefully, though, they can figure out everything from what they did.

Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home